When we were in ND last week, my very talented mom helped me make this super fun advent calendar for the holidays. The girls and I are so excited to use it. Basically, it’s a bit of a twist on the traditional advent calendar in that instead of getting a small gift or token to open on each day of December leading up to Christmas, you pull out a card from the pocket and there is a winter/christmas/holiday activity that you do on that day.
I had been thinking of ways to take the focus off “presents” this year and stumbled onto this activity which I totally stole from here. What I really liked about it was that on each card there is a something fun that we can all do together to help get in the Christmas spirit. The cards are made out of plain card stock and stickers, so they are easy to swap out, mix up, or add to in the upcoming years. This makes it easy to customize the activities depending on the year or the ages of your children. Most of the activities I chose are super simple and take little time so that even Lilah can participate.
Here is an example of some of the activities we chose:
1) Enjoy hot apple cider and stir it with cinnamon sticks
2) Drive around and look for Christmas lights
3) Watch a Christmas movie and eat popcorn
4) Make a new Christmas decoration
5) Drink hot chocolate and stir with candycanes
6) Buy a new Christmas album and listen to it
7) Build a snowman
8) Write letters to Santa
9) Bake Christmas cookies/goodies with mom
10) Make a treat and bring it to a friend
11) Call Grandpa and Grandma and sing them a Christmas song
12) Deck the halls
There are a ton of ideas you could chose from, making it easy to incorporate your own Christmas traditions. I know this is something we will be able to enjoy for many, many years and I just wanted to share it with you. Happy Holidays :-)